Saturday, February 2, 2008

Who's Seat?

For those who may not be aware of how I'm traveling, I'd like to take this opportunity to briefly explain. When traveling Space A (Available), you fly on military aircrafts while on leave. You don't pay for these flights financially, but rather, with your time. What determines how many seats are availabe on a particular flight depends on how much cargo is being transported. So, Friday night at Travis AFB near Fairfield, CA had the flight I needed. But, there were many others wanting this flight as well. My hope was that there would be enough seets for me to be able to get on as well. An annoucement was made that there would be two seats on the flight to Austrailia with a 20 hour layover prior to the long flight to Down Under. Looked like I'd be out of luck. Thought I'd stick it out for a while.. and then the next announcement.... only one seat left. Chances slim? The advantage of me being on active duty for this year puts me ahead of all of the retirees who were in front of me. That is with the exception of one other individual. I had priority and won the seat!! However, due to other circumstances, we cut a deal and I gave him my seat. Maybe the story of that deal can come another time.

No comments: